Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bootloading a Microcontroller using a Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandlerbing65nm

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Folks,

I wanna ask on how can I update the firmware of a microcontroller using another microcontroller with only UART connection.

Bootload.PNG

Basically, I wanna load the data of the updated software in the PIC18F then use it to change the firmware of the EFM32 microcontroller.

Now, I have read in the internet that it is possible but can someone explain it in more easier terms since I'm just starting to learn microcontrollers.
If someone could, it will be very helpful to me. Thanks!

Regards,
Chandler

Is it also possible to create a bootloader on the PIC MCU to bootload the STM32 MCU?

The normal bootloading process that I read only is that the bootloader is on the STM32 to update it's firmware and then the PIC18F MCU is just for the sending of new firmware thry UART.

Hi,

Every bootloader should come with a documentation. It tells the protocol used to upload the new firmware.
It does not matter what master (PC, microcontroller) there is, as long as it follows the protocol.

Klaus

You can write bootloaders from scratch, re the uChip end Generally speaking using
various protocols, UART, USB, SPI......

uChip has bootloaders one would think you can mod to meet the SiLab BL requirements.

Seems like on Silicon Labs end there is one available.

Regards, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back