Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Boost converter 2V to 28V

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

We need to do a boost converter for 2V to 28V.

Output power is 2.6W Maximum.

The load is a buck converter powering a LED Lamp (voltage 24V) , so there is no need for fast transient response.

Is this step-up ratio possible?

Any stepup ratio is possible. You could try putting the requirements in to the tools on National Semiconductor's site, although I often find it comes up with 'no solution' for my applications and I have to do the design by hand.

For low input voltage, high output, try the Linear Technology LT1308, I think it is. I will check tomorrow when I am at my computer.

Keith

Any stepup ratio is possible.
Possible yes, reasonable no. The switched power (and also the expectable switching losses) of a single inductor buck or
boost converter are a function of Imax * Vmax, increasing with step-up (respectively step-down) ratio. If the power is
low or efficiency isn't an issue, factors of 10 to 20, or even more may be acceptable, but a transformer gives usually
better performance.

2V to 28V is only 14x. I have done 24x with the LT1308 and more than 50x with other circuits. I cannot remember the efficiency, but with the 24x LT1308 circuit I know it was reasonable because it was a battery powered product where I had to meet a specification.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.