Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Body effect and Deep N well

Status
Not open for further replies.

rennguyen123

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What are body effects? Why can we use deep n well to fix the body effect in mos. Can anyone explain it to me?

Last edited:

MOS body effect means that any reverse bias of B wr.t. S adds to the effective VT, a fraction of that voltage (60% roughly). In cheap CMOS flows the NMOS has it's body pinned to substrate. The NMOS is what RF ICs use for the HF amplifier and switch paths, often the "native" (VT ~ 0). Substrate noise can also "communicate" with G by Cgs and the channel capacitance to body, a noise / harmonics/ intermods problem.
But worst, your "VT=0" FET becomes VT=0.6V if you operate at S potential of +1V. Goodbye, "sporty". Hello, common mode nonlinearities.

Wrap a DNW (+TNW) around a NMOS FET and you cut its connection to bulk substrate. Fix those issues at cost of layout area, greatly increased Css (so a better play for common source gain stage, than common drain followers). Gain some authority over noise couplings. Also can give you above-rail operation, like for bootstrapped bridge drivers.

MOS body effect means that any reverse bias of B wr.t. S adds to the effective VT, a fraction of that voltage (60% roughly). In cheap CMOS flows the NMOS has it's body pinned to substrate. The NMOS is what RF ICs use for the HF amplifier and switch paths, often the "native" (VT ~ 0). Substrate noise can also "communicate" with G by Cgs and the channel capacitance to body, a noise / harmonics/ intermods problem.
But worst, your "VT=0" FET becomes VT=0.6V if you operate at S potential of +1V. Goodbye, "sporty". Hello, common mode nonlinearities.

Wrap a DNW (+TNW) around a NMOS FET and you cut its connection to bulk substrate. Fix those issues at cost of layout area, greatly increased Css (so a better play for common source gain stage, than common drain followers). Gain some authority over noise couplings. Also can give you above-rail operation, like for bootstrapped bridge drivers.

I still don't quite understand the definition of body effect, can you make it easier to understand. I am newbie. Could you use pictures to make it easier for me to understand? Thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back