Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Board to Board Connector Choice Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkoSiroki

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear Sirs and Madams!

I am building hifi zone preamp and its central component is motherboard with PIC32, audio matrices, etc ... Now beside these components I have to choose board to board connectors for audio zone pcb (PCB with digital volume control and active analog filter) with stereo inputs and outputs. This zone pcb must be somehow connected to motherboard and I have chosen PCI 164 pin slot, but it has too many pins. I need something phisicaly smaller. Is, for instance, 3M's HM Press-Fit Socket apropriate for this kind of application (audio bandwidth, digital control port, analog & digital grounding and analog & digital power supply)? And of course, the contact betwen pcbs MUST be VERY RELIABLE!

Sincerely yours,
Marko

Dear Marko,

One of my Russia customer met the same situstion with you ,below is my suggestion :
1),If you are in the design stage of the pcb, I suggest that you consider design Rigid-Flex PCB , a flex-board could be connected between two boards,which could save cost and greatly enhance reliability.
2) If its produced pcb, and now is in the assembly stage, then I suggest you use the PCI-E98 models connectors, this volume is very small.

Hope above information will help you .

Best Regrds,
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
could you not use FRC connectors for this purpose?
I have a feeling FRC connector are not realiable for this kind of task, but I might be wrong!

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Marko,

One of my Russia customer met the same situstion with you ,below is my suggestion :
1),If you are in the design stage of the pcb, I suggest that you consider design Rigid-Flex PCB , a flex-board could be connected between two boards,which could save cost and greatly enhance reliability.
2) If its produced pcb, and now is in the assembly stage, then I suggest you use the PCI-E98 models connectors, this volume is very small.

Hope above information will help you .

Best Regrds,
Frank
Frank, thank you very much! I am very enthusiastic about PCI-E36 (36 contacts), it seems right board for my design. Are there any premade templates for PCI-E36 pcb in Eagle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back