Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BJT will be still used in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tti1239

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Now FET is the mainstream in IC manufacture,and even most analog circuits can be realized with FET.So I want to ask whether BJT will be still used in the future?

oh yea it will........
what about microprocessors...? pentium 4 is here but tell u most microprocessors produced is not the latest but old one....... coz they are cheap..... and advance feature is not necessary there.

Most IC that need good VNI and THD will usually use bipolar or BICMOS process. This is usually seen in audio applications.

Still BJT are fast enough.

very little in high frequency circuits.

neils_arm_strong said:
yes most popular microprocessors and chips used in labs still use TTL logic.TTl will continue.

no... i am pretty sure most popular microprocessors uses CMOS logic

nonetheless, for high speed, high frequency, and linear circuitry bipolar transistors is still used. Also, hybrids such as BiCMOS are also extremely popular.

Mostly low power device espeacially portable device will use CMOS. However, there are still somethings that bipolar are better at than CMOS.
Hybrids such as BiCMOS process takes the best of both worlds and combines them into one. The only obstacal is BiCMOS process is still relatively expensive, but this will one day come down.

So espeacially to all the students out there asking the same question, rest asure that what you are studying is useful.

the point here is that if the researchers still follow the moor's law then the use of BJT and even CmOs is going to be effected.
But some high frequency levels BJT should be used.
BUt the point of integration i think its life is over

I although think studying BJT should be useful also for understanding new upcoming devices.

Learn ALL of it!

My first electronics class was the last that my school taught tubes (valves) first, then taught transistors. Of course everyone complained. It's funny that for the next 30 years people wrote about the obsolescence of tubes while looking at a CRT (and cooked their lunch in a microwave oven). Any microwave guy will tell you that no transistor has ever matched the performance of a tube (valve) in that domain.

I went to work for a place that was building an automated phone response system. All the new engineers had extensive training in digital technology both hardware software and built a spectacular machine. That was until they tried to change from using 25MHz '386's to using 50MHz '486. The trouble was that no could get a PC Board working. Without any analog background what-so-ever, they were lost. They actually had some engineers from Intel come in at night to redesign the PC Boards and the hardware, since the new digital engineers hadn't a clue what was wrong. Since then, colleges have started teaching analog AND digital again. Without remedial training, those all digital hardware engineers are almost worthless.

My point is that just because a new technology comes along doesn't mean the older technology is going to disappear.

Don't even get me started on tunnel diodes! :D

No matters what ever technology it is..may not last forever
Every technology has its advantages and disadv..
who knows when any modification in ttl logic changes and so it may be faster and higher performance than all other...

So..the bottom line is have knowledge of all...any time it can be pulled up by technology

I think for power transistor applications you have to use BJT.

ya BJT will be there.. because for high speed and RF design the performance of BJT is best...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back