Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bit Error Rate (BER) estimation

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngrAdnan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
BER estimation

how is the BER (bit error rate) is calculated during demodulation?
i.e. if a demodulator is demodulating a signal, how can it estimate the running BER?
please ask if anyone has any queries, i will try to explain more my problem.

BER estimation

receiver cannot tell BER unless it knows what was transmitted before-hand, maybe a training sequence that is known by both transmitter and receiver.

In general (without training sequence/pre-stored data), only external equipment can do general BER estimation, since the same equipment sends the data and it reads back the received data and makes a comparison.

Is this what you are asking about?

-Gemini

Re: BER estimation

Actually there are some BER estimation methods, i have seen some software demodulators that estimate BER during demodulation of unknown bitstream.
i think they check the points on constellation, that how many points are very near to axises(zero crossings). but i dont know what happens exactly. . . please discuss.
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.