Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Biological effects of EMF

Status
Not open for further replies.

gorilla_13

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm studying the biological effects of electromagnetic fields on living organismsand i would be grateful if anyone has relevant information to share(especially at ELF)

Where can i find papers of Dimbylow P.J. who has studied this subject thoroughly.

Also need this papers:

'Modeling fields induced in human bodies by 50/60 Hz magnetic fields'

'Induced current densities from low-frequency magnetic fields in a 2 mm resolution, anatomically realistic model of the body.'

i too want to know abt biological effect. is there any resonance frequency our brain have? where i can find details abt biological effect by EMW?? how various parts of our body gets affected by EM waves?? anybody can tell me??

The electromagnetic spectrum is seperated into three major categories.

ELF: Extra Low Frequency <3 Khz
Non-Ionizing: Radiowave frequency 3Khz->30.000Ghz
Ionizing:X-rays, γ-rays >30Thz

At the range of ELF the electromagnetic field is seperated into 2 distinct fields, electric and magnetic. We can not talk about radiation in this frequencies because the field does not have enough quantum energy to cause thermal or ionising efects on the body tissues. However studies about biological effects of extra- low frequencies indicate that hazardous effects can be caused on the body(brain!). The mechanisms of this phenomenon are concetrated on the selectivity of Ca ions(fundamental organic proteins) affected by induced currents, through Ca channels.
This studies focus on overhead distribution lines operating at 50/60 Hertz and 440 KV (Corea built an 750 KV line to Seoul!). Another effect studied extensively for over 80 years is the corona discharge. This is an electrical discharge brought on by the ionization of a fluid surrounding a conductor, which occurs when the potential gradient exceeds a certain value, but conditions are insufficient to cause complete electrical breakdown or arcing(sometimes it is caused). There are several alloys that the material industry produces and can insulate the intensity of the magnetic field(which concern us in this fr.) such as mumetal, nilomag, sanbold.

Radio frequency waves are known to cause thermal heating of the body tissues through the energy that this organs absorb. Kidney, ribs, genital organs! absorb more radiation than the brain does. The use of mobile phones is the worlds bigest experiment throught history and uses the Man for to be studied(guinea-pig). As every major company and goverment organization continously repeat that the studies carried on have not shown anything harmfull caused, this is suspicious(too much money involved!). In Greece we are having the 4th workshop of the biological effects of EMF, in Crete island October '06. The research being done on this field all over the world is at embryatic state and much more is to know and reveal. Note that the microwave frequency of the mobile phones is gradualy raised (2G->1.8 Ghz, 3G->2.2 Ghz) due to the "needs" of the customers. Wireless LAN operating at 2.4Ghz..
*Always check the SAR of the cellular phone you are using.

Last but NOT least is the radiation which produces ionization(radioactivity). This field has been studied thoroughly and widely used from medical treatments and diagnostics through nuclear energy reactors. Lead cover can protect from this radiation efficiently.Damages DNA.
Ionizing radiation - The dissociation of an atom or molecule into electrons and /ions.
The electrically charged particles produced by high-energy radiation (such as light, infrared, ultraviolet rays, x-ray, cosmic rays ) or by the collision of particles during thermal agitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.