Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bicycle antenna for long wave 200 khz

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only antenna i am aware of at that frequency that will fit on a bicycle would be a ferrite rod, with copper wire wound on it.

You could try a whip, but it would be sooooo much shorter than a quarter wavelength, the antenna impedance will be very high ( perhaps 5,000 ohms) and would not be efficient. But with a high impedance amp right at the antenna, a whip might work with a strong signal.

I dissed the loopstick as directionality would be an issue on a bicycle.
However the fet buffered 35 x 80 mm plate at with a fet buffer right at the base works well.
I dont spose a 500 meter 1/4 wave whip would be all that practical on a bicycle.

looks like people DO make active antennas in this frequency range. I assume they are all active to solve the problem of the very high radiation resistance of the electrically short antenna. I see whip antennas and discone antennas out there.

here is one example, that uses a 1 meter tall whip

You mean people make the ant commercially, of course they even make the PA0RDT miniwhip commercially.
Mines been going for a month on my bicycle now, the only finnicky thing with it is that its sensitive to noise from the dynamo.
Isnt radiation resistance low, I thought radiation resistance shunts the antenna.

If anyones interested I've been working on a circuit to receive radio 4 on 198 khz, here it is:
The 70mm disc ant goes to a yellow 455 khz IF transformer padded down to 198, then via a fet to a black IF trans, then through a voltage controlled attenuator on to a cascade tranny amp, via an op amp to both a rectifier for the agc, and to the audio amp, its a cobble together of other circuits I've made.
It works quite well on the bench, even though its on breadboard.

Image (12).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back