Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BGA chip reader guide or purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrinkledCheese

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some information. I've been standing here in my kitchen for the past 3 hours Googling and I"m being teased with the information I'm looking for.

I have a cell phone my mothers friend's ex smashed off the corner of the door frame - class act. The phone had videos of her grandchildren being born. She dropped it off while picking up my son asking my wife to see if I could fix it. So, I'm undertaking a challenge. I did some basic searching and quickly came up with a probably.

Here is what's involved that I'm aware of. First I must remove the SAMSUNG KLMAG2GEG2A-A001 ( I think ). I've used my heat guns to reflow PS3s and 360s in the past at a former job without killing a single unit and with no returns within 6 months. I've used some tricks on how to better protect the board and get the heat under the chip where it needs to be. Aluminum heat shielding and "chip gate" around the chip.

Most of the NAND flash reading I've read about involve SMT, but not the BGA type.

I'm looking for instructions to either build one for a BGA style chip, or where to get a cheap one. I haven't had much luck finding a BGA style reader.

That's step 1 - remove the chip - and step 2 - Insert into the reader. That's the easy part. Once I've got it apart I have to work on extracting the data from the chip. This shouldn't be too hard so long as the chip isn't physically damaged - see crazy ex above.

This post is solely looking for information on a BGA chip reader build guide or location to purchase for a reasonable price.

Here is a PDF with some of the information I've read. There is another similar PDF but I downloaded it, so it's not really linkable.

https://recon.cx/2014/slides/Reverse Engineering Flash Memory for Fun And Benefit.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

A few more Googles have brought up this. https://spritesmods.com/?art=ftdinand&page=2

I'm going to keep looking, I suspect the only difference between BGA and non-BGA SMTs is the socket. I suspect I have to find the datasheet for the chip so I can find out which BGA socket I'm going to need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back