Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Best Distance measurement sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

microcon555

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In one of my project i need to measure distance. Iam aware of ultrasonic & IR range finders available in the market, I want to know which one is best suitable for my application.

Range : 30cm to 5m
Response time : 100ms

Thanks for your valuable time

MicroCon

Hi,

How about one of these Sharp IR range sensors?

They look pretty simple to use and are small and inexpensive. Most of the ultrasonic sensors I've seen are kind of bulky.

Regards,
Chris

I fear, that none of the suggested solutions works at 5 m distance. In principle, you can measure distance by triangulation
with high accuracy, but unfortunately, you need a large base distance.

Unfortunately too, you didn't tell a word about resolution and accuracy. For higher accuracy, laser time-of-flight and possibly
optical FMCW techniques are the only promising candidates, I think.

Yes,
a good focused and pulsed VCSEL & in slight angle mounted position sensitive line-detector (i.e. a longly, 4 contact LDR) and quotient calculating anologe, event. digitalized, electronics....
K.

Heterodyne modulated light source/phase shift method will work well over that distance. It can be done with LEDs or laser. Ultrasonics will work (you can buy ultrasonic tape measures that do just that). Laser time of flight is tricky for short distances due to the electrical disturbance caused by firing the laser.

I have designed most types of laser rangefinder.

Keith

try the MaxSonar-EZ1 ultrasonic sensor, it's the most useful for your project, i have used it a lot in my projects

Hi,
i am personally using CS5200 Dimensioner(Laser Distance Measurement Sensor)..It's good and even helps in handling irregular shaped objects...

Thank you

MOD: Do not use your personal weblinks / advertising links as signatures. Next time you'll be warned.

Status
Not open for further replies.