Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Before there were Dinosaurs, there was Wire Wrap (Old Dog, New Trick #001)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhoulroyd

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I feel my age when bringing up the names DataCon and Mupac, back in the 80s and 90s they were the leaders in wire-wrap technology. At that time, I worked for a little no-name company that tried to compete (mostly miserably LOL, but we tried). Some of the wire-wrap applications especially in telecommunications saw giant surfboard size PCBs, assembled with thousands of wire wrap pins, like a bed of nails, wrapped with various colors of 30AWG Kynar wire. Wire-wrap was ideal for making reparable electrical connections without requiring PCB traces.
I want to say that wire-wrap prototyping went prehistoric once microprocessors achieved 25mhz speeds. Like any proven technology, it will find applications forever in time.

Out of the "Old Dog learns New Tricks handbook" I would like to present a possible approach to stacking multiple PCBs using 3-Level Wirewrap pins passing through top and middle PCBs to plug into a receptacle socket, which can accept .025" square posts. So if you ever considered how to create pluggable modules with traditional screw machine technology, this may present a concept to you. If you would like specifics on the parts required, email me. Regards, Marty

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back