Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

BASIC QUESTION: Tri state meaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

ankitgarg0312

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
in terms of transistors,

if i say that i have node going from 0 to Z state.
in reality what will be voltage at that terminal ?

my understanding is that by putting node into tristate , i am switching off all paths of current from that node. so node should get remain in its original state forever ( ideally).
i am not sure whether i am right or not ...
please comment

In practice, it might be better to say that you are reducing all current paths to the node, making it high impedance, since even "off" switches will leak some current.

The reason to make that distinction is that as a high impedance node, the smallest amount of leakage charge from anywhere will cause its voltage to vary wildly.

But in its tri-state mode, nobody should care what its voltage is because from a logical point of view, it's not logic true, and it's not logic false; it is in the "third state" of logic - undefined, neither true nor false. That is why it is called "tri-state".

Asking what it's state is in terms of voltage is like asking what is the color of the hair of a bald man - the very question makes an illegal assumption - that its state may always be determined.

However, it's still a good question to wonder about. To measure the voltage, all you need to do is find a voltmeter with an input impedance much higher than the impedance of the tri-stated node.

Status
Not open for further replies.