Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Back end and Front end

Status
Not open for further replies.

meeyaw

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello experts in edaboard,

Though I am quite familiar on how semiconductor design companies work, i still puzzled with words back-end engineering and front-end engineering. Can you help me understanding these terms? If possible, can you give examples of VLSI design process that are back-end or front-end for me to enlighten me on that two words ... Thanks folks!

I can give you an example --

when you build a house , you first get permission , prepared layout, design and all ... once you are sure that design will work , then you start building up the construction ... same apply in VLSI .. for a design, front-end is soft code programming including verification , to make sure the design will work ... then we go for physical design , which is back end.
in back end , we do layout , and actual cell implementation . ..

hope this will help you to understand the term front end and back end.

Reactions: meeyaw

meeyaw

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi rahul,

Thanks for the very informative answer as well as easy example. Two questions though:
(1) at when STA a back-end engineering or a front-end engineering? This is where my confusion comes in
(2) is Synthesis is a front-end? (note: i am not very well familiar with this Synthesis, since I am a sort-of HW guy :) )

Thanks for any answers

Status
Not open for further replies.