Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] AWR AWRDE MWO Stripline Substrate Assignment Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RookieTadehEERF

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am having issues assigning correct substrate for my stripline lines in Microwave Office. For context, this is my stackup:

GND(copper)
Substrate 1
Traces(copper)
Substrate 2
GND(copper)

As marked in red in the image attached, the 7 coupled line stripline model is happy with SSUBL, but my striplines are not. I know I can use a balanced stripline substrate model to bypass this, but obviously my results will be vastly different than reality, as my stripline substrates are not balanced in height. Does anyone have any suggestions to work around this problem?

All answers are much appreciated,

Attachments

• stripline.JPG
    stripline.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 162

Note the difference between SSUB and SSUBL

MLEF is an element with closed form model, it requires a stripline substrate where top and bottom permittivity are the same (SSUB).

From what I can see in the manual, SSUBL is only supported by a few elements (S1LIN and coupled lines SxCLIN, S2CLIN, SNCLIN).

I am not an MWO expert, but the solutions that I see is to use EM solver on that MLEF part, or check if an equivalent averade permittivity is accurate enough for the MLEF section. Your two permittivies are not that different, so that might work fine if the MLEF section is short.

Thanks for the response. I do see that those each use different Substrate definitions. So the question is how can I model a different height dual dielectric couple line in the same simulation with the striplines that clearly don't accept any other substrate than the equal height single dielectric substrate. It is surprising to me that there is no such option on AWR.
--- Updated ---

Closing thread to add to RF solutions group instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back