Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic part number fetch

garimella

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a fairly bigger BOM with almost 300 components generated from schematics. Would it be possible to automate the fetching of manufacturer part number, given the basics specs of the components?. For example If the component description is 1 uf/50V, X7R, Case 0805, is it possible to fetch latest pricing and order code?

Hi,

I personally have some kind of a cross reference ... indeed a rather advanced stock database that returns exact manufactrer names and exact ordering codes (and second source).
On the other hand I use a clear scheme (on scheamtic/PCB layout) how to describe the parts.
for example:
A "1k00 resistor 0603" always is a:
--> (general description) 1% tolerated, thick film resistor, 200ppm, 50V, 63mW
--> (manufacturer) from VISHAY with ordering number "CRCW0603..."

And if I want special qualties I add the according information, like "0.1%"

Some aspects:
A simple test you already should have done on your own: go to an electronics distributor internet site and use their search function.
I tried farnell and it gave me 85 hits. And that´s exactly the first problem:
--> which one of these 85 capacitors do you want?
And each one comes with 3...5 different prices according volume. Thus you encounter the next problem:
--> what volume do you want to buy?

If I had the same problem, the first thing I´d do would be to contact my distributor. How knows better?
And if I´m not mistaken, farnell provides a "BOM upload" (or did it in the past).

But what does a distributor do with the BOM information? I guess it´s aim is to make money. So I wouldn´t be surprised if they sell you parts they want to get rid of, or parts they earn the most money with.

Klaus

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: