Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Atmel EEPROM and PIC processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarts

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I just bought atmel - at25320b SPI EEPROM. Can I make it wirk with PIC16f887? Pinout is the same, page system is the same (32 Bytes per page) as Microchip 25LC320A. Is there anything else I should consider?
In Atmel's manual it is said that it is designed to work with 6805 and 68HC11 series of microcontrollers. Would PIC be any different?
Could I get it work with this example? **broken link removed**

If anyone has some experience please let me know, I'm trying to avoid spending many hours/days figuring out how to make it work if it never wll.

I'm trying to avoid spending many hours/days figuring out how to make it work if it never wll.
It can work with a PIC16.
Could I get it work with this example?
You need to copy links correctly.

Reactions: tarts

tarts

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hey, thanks
I copied the link again
**broken link removed**

in case if it won't work it's the AN966 pdf and asm files

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:58 ----------

If I can understand right, I should be able to replace the chips any time without processor even noticing that it is a different EEPROM chip right? On a quick glance on the manuals I can see that commands and STATUS register bits seem to be identical. Just different voltage ranges and max clock speeds?

You'll notice, that the commands are even similar for EEPROM respectively serial flash devices of quite different memory size.

The Microchip AN is apparently referring to the PIC hardware SPI interface, which would be the preferred method to connect the device. There may be cases, where the dedicated SPI pins are already used for other peripheral functions, e.g. I2C. Then the SPI interface can be also designed with "bit-banging" of GPIO pins. Many PIC C compilers (e.g. CCS, Micro-C) have ready made libraries for this purpose, also preconfigured EEPROM driver software.

Status
Not open for further replies.