Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Assigning Sources in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrscientist

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,
Well i have one doubt regarding use of sources in HFSS........

1. When we take a plane say rectangular or a surface of any solid object then we select 2 points for assigning sources on same surface. But if the selected material is a conducing medium then it's a short.......

2. Whatever excitation we give to any design whether it's current or voltage excitation, are they sinusoidal or other nature? Also, if they are sinusoidal any way to generate pulsed signal?

These questions are constantly confusing me so please clarify my doubts by guiding me.

Looking forward for great support.....

Bye.

1. Only the waveport is applied to a conducting medium - and it is actually a 2D EM solver on its own, trying to find the modes of the applied structures. Remember that even on perfectly conducting materials only the tangential (ie parallel to the surface) E-field components have to be zero (and the other way around for the H-fields).

2. HFSS is a frequency domain solver. So... actually yes, the excitation voltages, currents etc. are sinusoidal... HFSS V13 can also treat transient stuff. So I think, with V13 pulsed signals should be possible with that version.

Thank u Roxxon....... but can u explain me the first answer with little more depth. (Does it mean that we can give voltage excitation to a perfect metal directly)
BTW can we see the i/p signal plot.
bye.

I tried it and yes, actually you can. And in cases of a voltage probe (like a coaxial probe) it actually makes sense. But solving inside PEC (perfect conductor) or high conductance materials is deactivated by default - which makes sense too, since inside a PEC actually all field components should vanish. So, there you would have a perfectly conducting voltage probe inside another model/space or whatever and you could do stuff like

em: talk - HFSS Tutorial 4: Left-Handed Materials

...where it does not really matter if the probe is conducting or not (since the excitation is an overlay anyway).

I don't understand your second question. I vs P? So current vs real part of the power? Or what?
Please explain what you actually try to simulate, maybe then I/we can help you better.

Thankyou, surely I would go through the tutorial...the i/p which i used in my previous reply, is a shortform that we employ for saying "input".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back