Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Array of monopole antennas _ Ground plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reza_

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I want to put 7 monopole antenna in a circular array, the base structure of the array is a PCB board.
The ground plane of each antenna is a circle with radius of Lambda/4.
My questions:
1- Is it possible to connect all ground planes together, I mean put all the antennas in one PCB that is completely ground?
2- If an unit ground plane is possible, does the asymmetric ground plane affect the pattern of the antennas(I need omni pattern)?
3- Should I use a 1 layer PCB as ground plane or a 2 layer PCB with top and bottom layer is better?

Thanks in advance

Solution
In case of monopole array antenna, I think would be better to use a common ground plane instead of using separate ground planes for each antenna.
If the ground plane of a monopole antenna is asymmetrical and have some lengths (distances from the antenna) smaller than λ/4, then the pattern may be changed from omnidirectional. If all the asymmetrical lengths of the ground plane are greater λ/4 then the pattern would be close to omnidirectional.
If use a solid common ground plane on the top layer, doesn't matter if use or not a bottom ground plane.
Welcome, Reza_

I'm not sure if anyone here will be able to tell you without more information. I suspect these are questions you will need to answer yourself, through simulation.

In case of monopole array antenna, I think would be better to use a common ground plane instead of using separate ground planes for each antenna.
If the ground plane of a monopole antenna is asymmetrical and have some lengths (distances from the antenna) smaller than λ/4, then the pattern may be changed from omnidirectional. If all the asymmetrical lengths of the ground plane are greater λ/4 then the pattern would be close to omnidirectional.
If use a solid common ground plane on the top layer, doesn't matter if use or not a bottom ground plane.

Solution
Thank you very much for your clear and helpful answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back