Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Area reduction after synthesis with scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

viju

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have noticed that when I do synthesis with scan, the area is reduced. Can any one make me understand how it is possible? In face by scan logic we are adding some logic in front of flops, so how come area is reduced.

Please share your views/experience for it.

Thanks,
VJ

Hi,

If I understand you correct you did a synthesis with a library which has scan flops. So you did not do scan insertion???
Than I think the area is smaller because the synthesis tool is smart enough to use the 2:1 input mux of the scan FF for optimizing some of your logic.
Normally you did not use the scan flipflops for synthesis. After synthesis the scan insertion replaces all your flipflops with scan flops and adds the scan chain.

regards

That is what I was suspecting too. If it is indeed the case, then the area reduction is pretty small, 1-2% is my guess. OP, please confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back