Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are there any C to RTL tools ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

they

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
C to RTL tools

Hi ,
Can somebody tell me some C to RTL tools exist in the market? Which is better?

Thanks.......

Re: C to RTL tools

Check Celoxica's DK1, DK2, DK3 and Mentor's CatapultC.

geconom said:
Check Celoxica's DK1, DK2, DK3 and Mentor's CatapultC.

how's the performance of the tools mentioned above? I mean compare with hand coded RTL.
Ever heard of tools from Synfora and Y Explorations Inc.?

they,

I have not heard the companies you mention. As for Celoxica and Mentor, they have some test cases for which you can search in their web pages. They claim their results are very good. However, I believe in all such cases an experienced designer is needed to check what they produce and when it is desired or not.

geconom said:
they,

I have not heard the companies you mention. As for Celoxica and Mentor, they have some test cases for which you can search in their web pages. They claim their results are very good. However, I believe in all such cases an experienced designer is needed to check what they produce and when it is desired or not.

Hi thanks for your reply...
I think at the moment, these tools are still unable to replace manually coded RTL in terms of quality....... but heard that it can shorten a lot the time needed for design.......

I am under an impression that code generated through such Tools are inefficient in term of synthesis and timing

sarath51 said:
I am under an impression that code generated through such Tools are inefficient in term of synthesis and timing

Hi, you mean the area synthesized for RTL generated with such tools will be much bigger than manually coded RTL? Have you tried with one or some of such tools?

I depends on the circuit and on the design team. The main advantage of such tools is that their optimizations, applied to higher abstraction levels, have greated impact on the overall performance than smaller manual optimizations applied by any designer. However, the produced circuit may still need such minor but necessary optimizations. So, for a big design, a team of experienced designers may find such tools very helpfull. We can not assume that an inexperienced designer may use such tools to create automatically the best possible design, without knowing every detail of the design process.

i am not sure wether that C code will be timing accurate.

C to RTL tools

i think SystemC is better.

C to RTL tools

Forte Cynthesiser is another tool in market... My collegues have used it .. they said results are not very bad..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back