Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Are there a lot of job opportunities in electronics in USA??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enrique15

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, fellows.

I'm from Panama (in Latin America), and here we don't have too much of electronics companies, because this is not an Industrial country. I'm graduated in Electrical-Electronics Engineering, and I like the "Electronics" part, but unfortunately, we lack of that area, as I said, talking about "design engineering" of course... and what we have most is Electrical Generation and Distribution Companies.

But if I want to work in the electronics area as I hopped for, I will have to search for a job in another country, and I thought about USA, since is the one I know the most about technology (of course, I know countries like Germany and Japan have a lot of technology too, but I'm thinking about the language issue also).

So, if I plan to look for a job in USA, I just wanted to know if there's a lot of Job Opportunities in electronics area, so I could think that companies there could be thinking of hiring foreign people.

The same thought could be for any other technological country. But I would like to know more about the USA opportunities.

Of course, as a Bachelor I won't have too much chances for compete. That's why I'll try to do a Master soon. But at least I wanted to know my chances to look for job in USA (and maybe in other countries as well).

You have more experience than me in the "job area" to help me "see the light" on this matters (since I graduated 3 months ago, and never worked before, and of course, don't know the job system and opportunities in other countries).

Thanks for your time.
I'll be glad to know about your ideas and suggestions.

Regards. :)

Re: Are there a lot of job opportunities in electronics in U

Hello Enrique,

Your chances are so tiny to get a job in USA, that they can be viewed only through a SEM. There are millions of people (much more experienced and educated than you and me) who wants to work in US and other countries, yet these countries have a very simple rule: They provide employment to their citizens first. And only if an employer can't find a candidate to fill a position in his country, then and only then, he can ask for a permission to bring a foreign employee...But the chances of such a thing to happen are very tiny. Moreover, this employer has to pay a lot of money to bring the foreign candidate and wait a lot fo time for the immigration papers to be completed (VISA, Work Permit etc), and also there is a quota of foreign employees that can be brought each year... So in essence, your chances are microscopic. I hate to discourage you, but these are the facts.

Hello.

Thanks a lot for answering so soon.
So in essence, your chances are microscopic. I hate to discourage you, but these are the facts.
Indeed I do realize that it's not easy to get a job, nor in my country nor in others.

It's just that knowing that in USA there are MORE chances of finding a job in almost any area than in my own country, I wanted to know what chances are to find a job in the Electronics Area.

You tell me that is very difficult. Well, I was like expecting to hear that.
But just trying to see how well could one do if trying to search for a job in other countries. It's just that in Panama there aren't too much jobs in electronics, as I mentioned before.
And also I've seen a lot of Job Vacancy on internet about electronic companies from USA.

But well, it seems that it'll be like lottery. A chance in a million. :D

Regards. 8)

Hi Enrique,

Don't get decouraged. I'm from South-America and I work in Europe as an analog engineer.

The first step, try to get a scholarship from an University in Europe or USA. There are some Universities that have available for minoritary communities (black mainly) or some others that have too much scholarships for black people that they must asure places for white people. Insane, isn't it? But true. This is in the USA.

In europe you have a lot of Universities with scholarships based in cooperation plans with underdeveloped countries (like mine;-). Once you got the scholarship and you succesfully got your ScM. or PhD, you'll be in a better situation to negotiate you future.

Good luck.

Hi Enrique,

It is a good thing to further continue your education, and you better to that in Europe. In US your chances for landing a job after graduation are slim. In Europe your chances will be higher.

try asia pasific.... lots of chances,,,,

but the money is smaller value,,,,

sp

Well, at least I knew that that in Europe and Asia are more chances with scholarships, because in my own college they have plans for scholarships for studying in Germany and Japan.

But I didn't know that there were also more chances for getting a job in those areas of the world.

So thanks for your information.

But I always get somebody telling me that I should study in USA because there they have more technology.

Of course I know that that's relative, because almost every of these countries have analog technologies, or even each place has some technologies that other countries may not have.

But if you tell me that studying in Europe or Asia, I have more chances to look for a job right there, that's valuable.

The only thing is that, as "sp" said, in Asia they don't pay too much.
And also in Europe life is very expensive (more than in USA I think).

So, as always, some advantages and some disadvantages in any choice. :D

Regards. 8)

I'm form the US. If you're qualified I'd say your chances are good. If you get a job at a big company like Kodak, they might also pay for education, if you choose to get more training or degrees.

You'll easily find a job in the US. As a matter of fact, I work with many foreign engineers here. My manager like to use foreigners so he can keep his cost down. These guys would make better money at McDonalds but then they can't stay in the country. Also, my manager likes to give them all the work so he has reasons not to give me (the american) good raises. I like foreign enginners but I don't like the people who exploit them.

Added after 29 seconds:

You'll easily find a job in the US. As a matter of fact, I work with many foreign engineers here. My manager like to use foreigners so he can keep his cost down. These guys would make better money at McDonalds but then they can't stay in the country. Also, my manager likes to give them all the work so he has reasons not to give me (the american) good raises. I like foreign enginners but I don't like the people who exploit them.

I am MSEE working in vlsi for 1.25 ys, Looking for an oppurtinity in usa, can i get it?

bismillah... if u hav the quality n ability,,, u will survive no matter where... dont worry,,,

as they pesimism mention tht US is hard to find for a job.... go other place in the world.... outerspace:p

The only thing is that, as "sp" said, in Asia they don't pay too much.
And also in Europe life is very expensive (more than in USA I think).

u are not all right.... in asia pacific... pay is quite high... but money value is small only.... wth 800-1000USD per month,,, u are already quite rich as a fresh grad....plus the living standard is so low here.... so u getting richer again....:p

but to say challenging(exciting) working environment... i dont dare to say tht is true if u work in MNC....

another prob would b sending back money to ur gf... heheh... the money will b depleted... as foreign exchange....money value is lower here...

regards,
sp

it's hard to compete with local ppl in ASP.

In china and India, students work very hard and are well trained in EECS, besides they are much cheaper then hiring a foreign engineer.

there is always competitors in earning money....

asia pacific is not just china n india...

if u are willing to earn the local money,,, ur pay should b quite competitive compare to local people....

and some country in ASP... some(not all) are still having the perception tht the moon is more round than local one (foreigner are superior over local especially developed country) degree from foreign university is superior as well...

but it also depend on one capability....

anyway,,, local workers are cheaper is undeniable....

regards,
sp

agreed asia pacific does not mean only china and india. try singapore?

Status
Not open for further replies.