Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Antenna radiation pattern & B.W of the modulated signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_anderson

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
Is there any relation between the antenna radiation pattern (although I know its a property related to the antenna) and the B.W of the modulated signal, I mean if we have a communication system and we set the Bitrate of the data to 1 Mbps then we set it to 10 Mbps will the radiation pattern change i.e. gets bigger or something like that ?
(assume we will use BPSK so the B.W=Bitrate).
for me I think the bitrate doesnot effect the radiation pattern at all, but I want to double check it with you guys.
Regards.
Anderson.

Re: Antenna radiation pattern & B.W of the modulated sig

The radiation pattern is frequency dependent, isn't it?
If your carrier gets higher, you'll have the same bw but in another frequency range, so when you simulate the RP using NEC software tools for example, you specify the desired frequency range and see the radiation pattern.

It has nothing to do with the BW, the BW is the same for all passband signals if the carrier frequency is larger than the baseband bw.But while a 1 MHz carrier results a BW of 0.5 MHz (from 0.75 MHz to 1.25 MHz), a 2 MHz carrier will also have a BW of 0.5 MHz but from 1.75 to 2.25 MHz, every case will have its radiation pattern !

If your BW is less than 1% of Fc (carrier frequency) then it doesn't matter.

what if it is greater than 1% of the fc ?

If the BW is greater than 1% of the fc, you should simulate the radiation pattern behavior in the range of frequencies of the BW. For example, at the minimum, maximum and central frequencies.

There is no relationship between the two. As said earlier Radiation Pattern is frequency dependant whereas bandwidth stays the same. so you can not interrelate these two different quantities.

Status
Not open for further replies.