Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

An inquiry about biasing techniques for the LNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

mostafa_maarouf

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all;

I'm desigining a front end for WCDMA receiver and i have designed the LNA and working in the mixer..
But i need to bias the LNA (and of course the mixer later :)) so what type of bias circuit i can use..

I read a little about the constant gm bias but this needs an external resstance which i think it is not that pretty solution..
so any help in any topic will be highly appreciated..
Best Regards,
Mostafa El Khouly

AA
i have worked with alot of chips from very big companies , in CDMA fornt ends , and i can say everyone have internal constant gm bias , and we add a very high quality resistor off chip , so the constant gm circuit work , so it is good solution

other wise u need to a good bandgap reference and bias cell for ur LNA and mixer 4 sure

khouly

thanks alot khouly, so it is normal speaking that i use a constant gm bias circuit and put a high quality off chip resistance ..
if i wanted to make this resistance on chip , will there be any practical case or it will be catastrphe :D

to put it on chip there will be about 20 to 30 % tolerance , the resistor i used with the IC's were about 1% tolerance so take care

i am not expeinced in IC design , but i think it is hard to make the constant gm circuit fully integrated

khouly

We always use 1% resistor off chip. As khouly points out, the 20% on chip is too much to handle.

Hello
Try cmos based resistor.
Note: gm stability (process) will be less, simulate this one before.

Actually, in LNA design, the absolute current is not that critical and I think the constant Gm curcuit will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back