Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplifier Design - a cheap-to-build amp for my guitar

Status
Not open for further replies.

wbreslin951

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Amplifier Design

Hey guys, I'm completely new to any kind of electronics design, however I learn pretty quickly. I've been researching all over google to try and find some kind of resource for amp design, but all I've found is schematics, and to tell y'all the truth it's all greek to me. I'd like to design a cheap-to-build amp for my guitar. I've found many schematics pertaining to that, but there's nothing like that feeling of building something of your on design ya know? I know there's a hell of alot of math involved, but I took precalc in high school and got a b so i'm not to worried about that lol. Also, from my understanding, though i could be completely wrong, is that it's easier to design a circuit around an opamp than a transistor, but i also think that its harder to find high power opamps, though i could be completely wrong on that as well. also, whats the deal with MOSFETS? Those are completely way over my head lol.
anyways, if you guys could help at all that would be great. Thanks! and looking forward to hearing your responses soon!

Cheers
-Billy

Re: Amplifier Design

May I give you a recommendation ?
If you really are "completely new to any kind of electronics" and in spite of the fact that you are able "to learn pretty quickly" I don´t think it´s good and sufficient to rely only on google searches. I am afraid you can find only some mosaic pieces and (a) you never know if you have found all pieces which are relevant and (b) you probably will not be able to build from these pieces a "house of knowledge".
Therefore, start reading a good and introductory textbook - and you will learn the basics. I am sure, as you can learn quickly, that is the best way for you to discover the secrets and the magic of analog electronics.
Good luck and regards
LvW

As you mentioned a guitar amplifier. Most people considering to build one on there own are expecting some properties of existing models and copy one of these. At least, it's instructive to study their circuit diagrams. A high power opamp, if you can find a suitable type, most likely doesn't have the expected features, particularly tone controls, overdrive behaviour.

Generally, there are electronics print magazines, dedicated to DIY projects and a lot of similar resources on the internet. You'll also find guitar amp kits.

Where can i find a textbook with that kind of content? any suggestions as far as which one?

Added after 3 hours 43 minutes:

Also, I don't need any kind of tone cotrol on my amp.. I have a set of nice effects pedals to do that for me. All I really need is a good power amp. Something in the range of 100-200 watts

There's a book called audio electronics by Hood, it has a lot of audio stuff in it. But you'll need to give yourdelf a grounding in electronics first though.

Amplifier Design

ill def. look up that book, if possible would u happen to have the isbn? in case i cant find it.. I'm sure amazon.com will have something pertaining to what I'm looking for right?

There also have been various audio amplifier design links in the edaboard discussion, you may want to browse the forum thoroughly.

e.g.:

its not necessarily amplifiers that i want to design. i mean thats the first project i wanna complete, but i would like some simple stuff to practice with, start with the elementary designs. i know a few concepts here and there, i understand such things as ohm's law, but i dont really understand how to apply what i know. also, would SPICE be a good place to start with designing simple circuits and experiment with the actions of different components? if so, where could i learn how to use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.