Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Am I generating negative voltage here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demodb

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i'm a little in darkness here guys, maybe someone can shed some light into it. Looking at the picture, am i generating a negative voltage with respect to ground here?

Re: negetive voltage

You are sucking all of the free electrons "OUT" of the Cap (for a short
period). So if electrons leave the top of the Cap it will have a
net positive potential.

demodb,
If the arrow denotes conventional current flow direction, then yes, the voltgae is negative.
Regards,
Kral

negetive voltage

hi, dude,

wrt ground, yes.
its a neg ramp output (theoritically)across the capacitor.

yes you are generating negative voltage wrt gnd

thx guys, i was a little worried whether this would work.

Absolute voltage doesn't exist. Therefore you can put the GND sign anywhere you want in the circuit - all voltages lower than the GND potential are negative voltages.

For example look at the attached schematic. You can use the output as a (GND, +2,5V, +5V) supply, but you also can use as a symmetrical supply (-2,5V, GND, +2,5V).

how would you create such a current sink? Can i just use an NMOS with the source connected to a negative voltage, which is low enough to make sure that the NMOS does not go into triode if Vds becomes too low?

Status
Not open for further replies.