Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altium Desisner 10 Placing copper text on a Power plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul J

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm currently working with Altium Designer 10. I have a 6 layer PCB. On the 2 power planes I would like to place some copper text. I can place the text within a polygon pour cutout and its visible on the pcb editor. But when I switch to the 3D view I see that the polygon pour cutout is there but the copper text is not.

Is there a way to place copper text onto a power plane? Or is it a case of having to change the power plane to a signal layer to achieve this.

Thanks for any help.

Paul J.

Last edited:

Why have you used the solved prefix?
This means that you don't need help.
I would suggest you edit your post and remove it.

I've just tried this and got the exact same result... I tried invering the text, when you select true type font you get extra options, but still nothing showed. I guess you can't which is a bit rubbish, I'll post it on the Altium Support forum and see what the results are. The onl way round it I can think of is too draw your text in lines or import the text from a DXF as this will convert to lines and you can place that.

I really hope someone else has an answer.

Hope this helps,
Chris.

Reactions: Paul J

Paul J

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for the feedback Chris. It does seem unusal that you can see it in the PCB editor screen and then it disappears on the 3D visualisation. Maybe when the PCB is manufactured it will be put in but I always sort of assume that the 3D view is the best representation of the finished PCB.

Cheers.

Paul.

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

I think I made the mistake so thanks for pointing it out. I have re-edited the post and resubmitted it.

You got me thinking - "Maybe when the PCB is manufactured it will be put in" So I ran a quick gerber file and it appeared there so it's safe to say it's a 3D view problem, I'd double check when you come to output the board though, just in case.

Chris.

Hi Chris,

Yes I was thinking along the same lines as that. Check the gerber files when they are generated and see what is there. Thanks for the feedback/.

Paul J.

I have noticed same situations several days ago, while placing a string with PCB version.

Try to place string (i.e. .Print_Date) in TOP solder layer. It is not visible in the 3D visualisation mode too. But if you place i.e. a line, circle, arc or any other object, it will be visible . It seems like there is some bug with string visualisation in 3D view mode.

-- tantudaisu --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back