Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Agilent ADS layout assigning art work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dionysian

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am having a issue assigning artwork to a sot23 bjt in agilent ads. The BJT is a SOT-23 package and I use the fixed SOT-23 artwork from ADS to assign the part but it is not properaly mapping between the schematic and the layout. The parts that are suppose to be attached to the base are attached to the collector and visa versa. I do not know where you can assign the mapping between the schematic part and the layout part

generate your own layout and call it when assigning artwork. Of course you have to put the ports at the wanted place in your layout....

Thank you for your replay but I am not 100% sure what you mean. I am still new to ADS so that may be why. Do you mean that I should place the part manually in the layout first then generate the schematic? I know you can do this in ADS but it seems kind of rediculous that i would need to do it that way. Isn't there some way I could manually tell ADS how to map the schematic symbol to the layout artwork?

Hi dionysian

If i remember, you have to right click on the symbol of your component in the general design in schematic window or when using a block symbol of your subcircuit in schematic, then select component and then edit component artwork, finally select fixed in the list of artwork types and then browse a layout you have prepared previously . Clear ?:grin: if the SOT23 is not exactly the footprint you need after layout generation, use it first and change the place of the ports or dimensions or add any shape (grounding vias/ text on silk layer/ solder paste /resine etc..) and save your layout under a new layout file then return to your general design. You have then just to do what is mentioned above by right clkicking on the symbol and recalling the right layout in the browser of artworks.

Good luck in your design...

Hi dionysian

If i remember, you have to right click on the symbol of your component in the general design in schematic window or when using a block symbol of your subcircuit in schematic, then select component and then edit component artwork, finally select fixed in the list of artwork types and then browse a layout you have prepared previously . Clear ?:grin: if the SOT23 is not exactly the footprint you need after layout generation, use it first and change the place of the ports or dimensions or add any shape (grounding vias/ text on silk layer/ solder paste /resine etc..) and save your layout under a new layout file then return to your general design. You have then just to do what is mentioned above by right clkicking on the symbol and recalling the right layout in the browser of artworks.

Good luck in your design...

Another alternative is to build a "custom" component for your part and reuse the existing SOT23 artwork for the layout. First, create a schematic (call it my_sot23_bjt.dsn, or similar). Drop in your BJT device, spec'ed as you want it, then add a port to each node. Go to File, Design Parameters(?). (you'll have to excuse my rough directions, since I'm not on a PC with ADS at the moment). On the left side of the Design Parameters window, choose the component symbol. You should select Browse(?), which will open a smaller window where you can scroll through the available catalog. Find the same symbol that the original SOT23 used. Once you select it and save the new design, you should be able to open a blank schematic and add the new component from the parts library (under Project), generate/update layout, and see the SOT23 artwork. I don't recall the order of collector-base-emitter as it relates to port 1, 2 and 3... but with some quick DC sims, you should be able to figure out which is which, and adjust the ports in your custom part schematic so the pins match the layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back