Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[ADS][Momentum] Differents S-param results between MoM and Design simulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

chromatik

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Just a basic question, I guess...

If I simulate with Momentum a planar structure, like a spiral inductor, I obtain a sheet containing all magnitude and phase for each S-parameter: let's call this MoM_Results
Now, from this MoM simulation, creating a component and using it in ADS, loading with appropriated terminals and running a S-param simulation, and looking at the results: ADS_Results.
Then comparing: results are differents !

MoM
79_1317307672_thumb.jpg

50-ohms internal ports

ADS
2_1317308254_thumb.jpg

50-ohms terms

So whose result is OK ? And why the other one is not ?
I guess it's a simple trick, but... better asking :)

Thanks a lot for your help!
Regards

Unfortunately I can not see your results but without any doubt you have made a mistake st somewhere. If you have created a component in schematic from Momentum results, schematic and momentum results should match.
First point that I noticed from your post is you have used internal ports for momentum, if possible try to use single ports.

If you have not created your component from momentum results and you have used a standalone component in schematic, then your results should be different and momentum results are more accurate.

I also met the same problem. My extracted SnP data from MoM simulation does not match the layout component model generated by MoM. I also use HFSS to compare the result and find the extracted SnP data is closer to HFSS result.
This is the link for my question thread: https://www.edaboard.com/threads/226983/

Also, I did use internal port. I don't know if that is the reason for such difference. But since the SnP from MoM can match HFSS, I think the MoM simulation is correct.

I guess that I might do something wrong during creating the layout component. What I did is just go to Momentum-->Component-->Create/Update. And I set all the parameter in default. Could anyone tell me what I need to care?

Unfortunately I can not see your results but without any doubt you have made a mistake st somewhere. If you have created a component in schematic from Momentum results, schematic and momentum results should match.
First point that I noticed from your post is you have used internal ports for momentum, if possible try to use single ports.

If you have not created your component from momentum results and you have used a standalone component in schematic, then your results should be different and momentum results are more accurate.

Did you connect the reference pin (from layout look-alike ) to the GND in your schematic?

I did. I generated the layout component with reference pin. In circuit simulation, I connect the layout reference pin to GND.

Did you connect the reference pin (from layout look-alike ) to the GND in your schematic?

I have done the same thing many times and always results were same.

I don't remember exactly but I think you can choose that the simulation setup control of this layout look-alike component would be from schematic or Momentum.
If you have set it to the schematic change it to the Momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back