Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adding AC current limiter to H-bridge power circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultrasonic

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello,

I have designed a H-bridge circuit and it gives 300Vpeak_to_peak AC signal on the output. here is the schematic:

**broken link removed**

I want to drive an ultrasonic transducer by using this driver circuit. I have a quesiton for this operation.How can I limit my output current? I am using a 60W transducer and maybe it can be damaged because of the output current. Could you direct me, or share sample to add this limiter circuit?

with kind regards,

Dear ultrasonic
Where is your schematic? is it imagine?:lol:
Though , the current limiter methods are many , and all of them are very simple. if your current is low , you can use a series resistance with your DC supply( the resistance can be lower then 0.1 ohm ) and you can compare the voltage across that (resistance) with the reference voltage , then if the current become higher than the value that you want , the voltage across the resistance will increase , and your comparator , can give a voltage to a transistor , if the transistor become on (short circuit(approx)) , the PWM will grounded and the mosfets will become off . the average of current will be in value that you want , and it can not exceed from the value that you want . it is simple . if you want i can give you a simple schematic about that.
Best wishes
Goldsmith

Dear ultrasonic
Where is your schematic? is it imagine?:lol:
Though , the current limiter methods are many , and all of them are very simple. if your current is low , you can use a series resistance with your DC supply( the resistance can be lower then 0.1 ohm ) and you can compare the voltage across that (resistance) with the reference voltage , then if the current become higher than the value that you want , the voltage across the resistance will increase , and your comparator , can give a voltage to a transistor , if the transistor become on (short circuit(approx)) , the PWM will grounded and the mosfets will become off . the average of current will be in value that you want , and it can not exceed from the value that you want . it is simple . if you want i can give you a simple schematic about that.
Best wishes
Goldsmith

Dear Goldsmith,

Thanks for your helpful reply. it will be very helpful if you can share a schematic. Actually there is one point that I couldnt understand. We will add a small resistor to our DC supply. My dc supply is 300Vdc from 220Vac bridge rectifier. ıt feeds my H-bridge and I want to drive a 60W ultrasonic transducer, at the point I dont want to damage my transducer, if much more current flows through it. So I want to add current protection maybe I can sense current and with monitoring increasing/decreasing on it I can decrease voltage...

By the way, in such a operation what kind of resistor should I add? 60W resistor is enough or is there special resistor for these operations?

thanks,

You would preferably use a low resistance (< 1 ohm) shunt, e.g. in the transducer return line for current measurement. If the transducer return need to be grounded, a small current transformer is probably the most simple option. The advantage of an AC current measurement is, that it can also monitor the transducer impedance matching respectively generator frequency tuning.

Dear ultrasonic
Hi
As Fvm said , its value is about lower than 0.1 ohm . and its power will be about your current reference voltage *I max *I max.
See below literature , please. you can find the basics of current control in that, as well as :
http://www.ieeta.pt/~alex/docs/ApplicationNotes/DC Power Supply Handbook.pdf
Or you can read these terrific books: switching power supply design by abraham i pressman or switching power supply cook book by marty brown .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.