Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

adaptive decimation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

suenoyl

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
(note: I'm pretty inexperienced in SP)

So I have a signal that is square-like in time, and not very noisy - I have successfully smoothed it using methods like free-knot spline, and piecewise savitsky-golay. My issue is not with determining the underlying signal as it is obvious: rather, it is with reducing the amount of data so that calculations on it are quicker. However, since the data was recorded at a constant timestep, the square-like nature of the curve makes uniform decimation a bad idea: there are very few data points in the information-rich (steep) portions, while there are a lot of data points in the information-poor (flat) regions. Uniform decimation results in almost a complete loss of data along the steep portions of the graph.

My ideal result is something like example 2 here, where they use stiff ODE solvers in MATLAB:
https://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/ode23.html
For other reasons, I can't use these stiff ODE solvers - but that result is what I would like. It uses an adaptive timestep quadrature algorithm to compute the location of the next data point.

What are my options here? I have tried to research this a lot on my own, but my lack of SP knowledge makes it difficult to know if a potential solution is even applicable to my problem (I read a little about adaptive filters, for example, but much of it is over my head).

Thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back