Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC-DC conversion using bridge - component identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbkv_tom

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a stepdown transformer that converts 230VAC to 9VAC..9VAC is given to a bridge rectifier(1V drop across) and then to an LDO(0.5V drop across) that converts to 5VDC..i need to draw a maximum current of 100mA(worst case) from the 5VDC for my board operation..Few clarification i need is

1) I'm using a 1.5VA transformer ie 9VAC, 166mA secondary rating..IF i need to draw a max of 100mA out of the regulator output after rectifying using a bridge rectifier of 1V drop..Even if the drop across bridge and LDO is added there is enough voltage at regulator input..Is this calculation right..Am i missing something
2) What should be the value of bulk cap i need to provide after the bridge rectifier.what is the formula for calculating that?
3)At the 230VAc input to transformer i have provided an MOV of 700V clamping volatage and 2500A surge current protection..do i need to provide a series resistor and a fuse also in the Mains input? Is resettable fuse OK to be used at the input..i cannot use a blow type fuse since the components on the board is not so easy to access when it is assembled inside the enclosure

Please provide your suggestions..
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.