Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A software progammer want learn ASIC. Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marring

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
learn asic

Hello all,

I'm a programmer in M$ Windows. My job is proramming in low level: Port I/O (Parallel port, Serial port...), algorithms..., and hardware programming too.

I hear that ASIC is a new subject for a programmer too. It means making hardware by using software language. It sounds great. But I don't know where to start? Do I need hardware knowledge?

Any comments, suggests are welcome!

Thank you very much!

you can pick up Verilog first and maybe verification engineer is more suitalbe for you!

Hi marring:

It's depend on what you wanna do. Digital or Analog.

If you select digital. It's depend on whether you wanna design or

verification. If the answer is design you need to learn verilog or vhdl,

maybe both. If the answer is verification, you not only need to learn

verilog/vhdl, HVL(Hardware Verificate Laguage, e or vera) will be big plus.

wang1

Well... as a programmer you cant do much in ASIC domain..If you can learn basic digital concepts... may be you can go to verification as adrian_hu and wadaye said....For Digital HDl based design you need to have very good understandin on Digital design , microprocessors , interfacing etc...if you wanna do analog asic design....
better take another course.. may be a masters in EE.. and start from device physics and CMOS ckt design...
best of luck

It depend on your background, because Asic can be progamed by text (ex VHDL, AHDL) or by graphic. If u used graphic, u must be have good background about digital hardware.

If you only interesting, it's ok.
If you want to do ASIC design, forget it.

ASIC designer's Job is decreasing and not so hot as ten year ago.
Nowadays many ASIC designer start to learn software.

Hello jamesyang1209,

Thanks for your advice! I think I should do more and learn more in programming.

Thank all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back