Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A question about CLANS in delsig (delta sigma toolbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.

raceon1600

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
clans delta sigma toolbox

Hi.
I have problem with CLANS in delsig tolbox. I cant understand what is the "Q"?

ntf = clans(order=4,R=64,Q=5,rmax=0.95,opt=0)

In the pdf file of this toolbox it is written that "The maximum number of quantization levels used by the fed-back quantization noise."

But I vant understand it!!!

If I have 4 bit quantizerm what is the value of Q?

clans toolbox

I would say that for 4-but internal DAC you will have Q=2^4=16, but I suggest you doublecheck toolbox documentation, it's been a long time since I used it myself..

Going through the toolbox, it seems that Q does *not* refer to the number of quantization levels, but the out-of-band gain. In the Schrier et al yellow book, they recommend a value of 3.5 dB (1.5 V/V) gain at Fs/2 for the NTF. Indeed, the default value digging deeper into the scripts is 1.5 V/V.

I am unfamiliar with the paper cited in the documentation for this clans function. However, it does say that Q = |H| - 1, so it would seem to me to refer to some gain metric on the noise response (or maybe the noise shaping filter).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back