Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A/D Converter exercise !HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckck20

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have the following problems:
1)We have an A/D converter. The analog signals have a maximum change of 2.5V/μs (2.5 V per 10^-6 second). The sampling frequency is 200KHz.The conversion range is from -2.5V to 2.5V and also the converter has 8 bits. Calculate the needed holding time of the S/H (sample and hold) and the conversion time of the A/D.

2)An A/D converter system has a conversion range from -12V to 12V and 10bits.
The system has S/H and an 8input multiplexer. The maximum frequency of the input signal is 4KHz and the sampling frequency is 20KHz per input. Calculate the needed holding time of the S/H and the conversion time of the A/D.

Please, tell me what to do. I have exams on Monday and the book I'm studuying doesn't doesn't say anything on these except that for a bipolar converter
f<=1/(2*pi*Dt*2^n) where f is the frequency of the input signal, n is the number of bits and Dt is the A/D conversion time or the S/H holding time.
Anything is appreciated.
Thanks in advance

I think it is about the ability of the A/D to follow the input, which means that the input voltage rate of change is limited. For the A/D to faithfully follow it, the input voltage should not change by more than 1 LSB during the conversion time.

Thus, for the case of the sinusoidal input, with an amplitude Um, the voltage is :
u(t)=Um*sin(ωt).

The rate of change is found by differentiation:
dv/dt=Um*ω*cos(ωt)

Its maximum is for ωt=0:
dv/dt=Um*ω=Um*2*π*f

If the converter has n bits and the input ranges from –Um to +Um, then:
1LSB=2*Um/(2^n)

Therefore, since the input must not change more than 1LSB during Dt, we can write:
dv/dt*Dt <= 1LSB

Um*2*π*f*Dt <= 2*Um/(2^n)

Therefore,
f<= 1/(2*π*Dt*(2^n-1))

I think this is what the book meant.

ckck20

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for your response. Now it makes sense where that equation came from, but i think (from what I concluded from the net) that the input must not change more than 0.5LSB during Dt,so dv/dt*Dt <= 0.5LSB and this simplifies to the equation in my book.
When the sampling frequency is f then the conversion time of the A/D is 1/f ?
And in the above equation if put all the given data and solve for the Dt, that's the holding time of the S/H ?
Is this correct?
The clock is ticking...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back