Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

802.11a vs 8082.11n occupied bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaron_do

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

straightforward question:

why is it that 802.11n signals occupy more bandwidth than 802.11a/g signals?

thanks,
Aaron

Do you mean this: "Channels operating with a width of 40 MHz are another feature incorporated into 802.11n; this doubles the channel width from 20 MHz in previous 802.11 PHYs to transmit data, and provides twice the PHY data rate available over a single 20 MHz channel." - this is quote from Wikipedia.
I suppose this was added to MIMO spec to make sure this format is always faster, with or without MIMO. : )

Do you mean this: "Channels operating with a width of 40 MHz are another feature incorporated into 802.11n; this doubles the channel width from 20 MHz in previous 802.11 PHYs to transmit data, and provides twice the PHY data rate available over a single 20 MHz channel." - this is quote from Wikipedia.
I suppose this was added to MIMO spec to make sure this format is always faster, with or without MIMO. : )

Hi again, thanks for the reply. I was referring to the actual 3dB bandwidth of the signal (I think they measure it as -6dB for Wifi but don't quote me). Anyway I did a bit more reading and found out that they increased the number of OFDM subcarriers from 52 to 56 between 11a and 11n (sneaky).

thanks,
Aaron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back