Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5V supply - low gain audio amplifier IC out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HankMcSpank

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My requirements are for a mono Audio amplifier IC capable of a peak to peak output swing of 4.2V into 8ohms, operating off a single 5V rail (frequency range is about 100Hz- 1kHz) - but an IC that doesn't apply a crazy voltage gain.

Just about all output ICs I've tried apply a voltage gain of 20! this is problematic because I'm restricted to 5V as the supply, so working backover 4.2V peak to peak divided by a gain of 20 means a meagre maximum 20mV input presented into to the amplifier IC!

ok, so I could use a trimpot in the preceding stage to allow maximum dynamic range swing & simply trim off the signal to an appropriate level to present into the amplifier - but I'd still prefer to find an audio IC that's happier with a larger input voltage.

So to my question - are there any suitable IC candidates that folks here have poast exerience with? (only packages in SOIC and larger please)

Any top tips greatfully received!

Also, as a possible route of exploration, is it possible to even implement a classic push pull Class AB amplifier at such a low supply voltage (eg with a preceding opamp to help eliminate crossover distortion) ...if so, which complimentary pair of trannies should I be looking at?

Can you use resistor feedback to set the overall gain?

Thanks for the line of questioning....if you mean using a resistor to route negative feedback to the input thereby dropping the gain, well I've not tried but I will tonight!.

Essentially I've a TL072 used as a preamp - it's wired as non inverting stage - it feeds into a 1W BTL audio amp. I guess I could feed some of the output signal from the output of the BTL IC back in to the -ve leg of the TL072 preamp stage (not sure how to do this yet so off to Google!)

Status
Not open for further replies.