Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4mil vs 8mil via

Status
Not open for further replies.

ktr

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am thinking the practical difference in using a 4 mil via vs 8 mil through hole, plated via in a standard 4-layer (RF-GND-PWR-GND) 62 mil (1.6mm) PCB board. Frequency is 1.4 Ghz. I know at higher frequencies via diameter becomes more important; however would there be a sizeable difference at L-Band ?

Kind Regards,

ktr

Unless you require extremely low S11 / S22 optimizing the vias will likely not have a huge effect within the L band. I would be trying to keep RF on a single layer though.. 4mil vias will likely cost more! Via dimensions are pretty hit and miss at high freq and don't really follow typical rules... really need an FEA EM tool to work it out. But that being said, by removing inner unused pads, back drilling, blind & buried vias, and or using HDI with microvias I've been able to meet (and exceed ;)- ) compliance with PCIe3 and USB3 without such tools. Leaving the mid layer pads on coupling vias is argued to make them more capacitive hence lower impedance.. This makes sense.. but I've never tested it.

Reactions: ktr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back