Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 cells LiPo Battery charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

libuz

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a battery pack made of 3 LiPo cells (3.7V each. total 11.1V). I want to design a circuit which can charge this battery with an ac-dc adapter of 15V. When adapter is connected, adapter should charge the battery as well as drive another system (load). When the adapter is not connected, the battery should power the load.

I researched about it and came across many components like battery protection ICs, gas gauge ICs, battery charging ICs, host controlled/standalone... I learned that LiPo batteries need proper monitoring and protection and cell balancing. But, I am not sure if I need all these components or not.

Which components do I need to make a complete battery pack with charger and battery protection? My Battery pack comes with a protection control module. Do I need another protection circuit? The battery pack is external, so it is not interfaced with internal processor. Do I need the gas-gauge?

Can I just use battery charging IC like **broken link removed** or https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/bq24610.pdf only?

MAX1757
https://www.maximintegrated.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/2287

2287.gif

I have to use 15V adapter. I couldn't find 13 or 14V adapter. Also, do I need to use gauge IC and protection circuitry?

yes you must use protection circuit to protect battery from bad using in charge and discharge, and to save the life battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.