Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2N2222A transistor packaging types

Status
Not open for further replies.

manishanand14

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everyone!

Transistor 2N2222A is available in two types of packaging-Metal & Plastic

Can I use any out of these two?
I guess metal packaging has better heat sinking properties.

Re: 2N2222A Transistor Types

If there's a difference in performance, it must read on the datasheet. There should be some extra letters after "2N2222A". Otherwise they won't differ. Metal packaging could offer better heat sinking properties, but not necessarily. Please post the exact product numbers or retailer pages here if you want more info.

Re: 2N2222A Transistor Types

yes you can use any one of them. i think since both have the same number so both must have same switching and heat sinking properties. i can't say why manufacturers has kept the difference in packings; as lm338t comes in plastic to-220 package while the same lm338k comes in metal to-03 package. one reason that may matter is the difference in applications and design where their different versions are used. for example; one manufacturer has designed his board and casing that batter suit to-03 package so he will use lm338k and the designer if designs a smaller and compact device will prefer to use to-220 package.

Status
Not open for further replies.