Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

+/-260mT in 100kHz LLC transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
We took apart a 3kW EV battery charger.
Half bridge LLC transformer was PQ3535 with AL = 1600, 3C90 ferrite.
LP=640uH
np/ns = 1:2
Fsw = 100khz
Vin=400vdc
Vout = 250-420VDC.......PFC output volts could be varied up to 445VDC (AC input was 85-265VAC).
Switching frequency was always 100kHz, apart from some times when it was 200kHz...(but when 200khz, the LLC gate drives were each on only 25% duty, instead of the usual ~49%)

PQ3535 was gap padded to metal case top, which in turn gets screwed to heatsink, which i believe is water cooled.
Also, vertical metal heatsinks are gap padded to the PQ3535 sides.

Do you believe this +/-260mT could be gotten away with due to all the cooling used?

Hi,
We took apart a 3kW EV battery charger.
Half bridge LLC transformer was PQ3535 with AL = 1600, 3C90 ferrite.
LP=640uH
np/ns = 1:2
Fsw = 100khz
Vin=400vdc
Vout = 250-420VDC.......PFC output volts could be varied up to 445VDC (AC input was 85-265VAC).
Switching frequency was always 100kHz, apart from some times when it was 200kHz...(but when 200khz, the LLC gate drives were each on only 25% duty, instead of the usual ~49%)

PQ3535 was gap padded to metal case top, which in turn gets screwed to heatsink, which i believe is water cooled.
Also, vertical metal heatsinks are gap padded to the PQ3535 sides.

Do you believe this +/-260mT could be gotten away with due to all the cooling used?
Oh yes. More than the core losses in LLC HB Transformer, I have seen copper losses being the dominant one. For your power lever & switching frequency PQ35/35 seems to be a borderline core. I hope you must have given proper attention to the over load condition or short circuit condition. It is must to have a proper cooling in your application. In many of the battery charger I have tested & designed, LLC transformer fails mostly due to in adequate cooling .

I suggest you do a complete potting of the Transformer in an aluminum box & then screw the entire the box on to the heatsink. It provides cooling to both core & winding.

Status
Not open for further replies.