Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

24Vac Contactor latching problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHeTTRoNiCS

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Guys...we have a motor driver equipement. The input ac line link into step down transformer 24Vac...This 24Vac is then feed to the contactor coil. But the problem is the contactor is not engaging. However, when contactor is removed we can read 24Vac from the connector. Thus, we tried to energized manually the contactor by different AC source but it's working. Any idea what is the problem??? Thanks.

Probably you have voltage drop, and contactor coil dont have enough energy to work.

Best regards,
Peter

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You don't report significant measurements.

Usually you'll measure the voltage across the contactor coil when the external voltage is supplied. If it's not suffcient, trace the connection up to the transformer to find out where's the discontinuity or unwanted voltage drop.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Hello folks, got the same issue. Most likely what is the cause of this voltage drop?

check if your contactor can work with the voltage and current you are providing it with

Hello Guys...we have a motor driver equipement. The input ac line link into step down transformer 24Vac...This 24Vac is then feed to the contactor coil. But the problem is the contactor is not engaging. However, when contactor is removed we can read 24Vac from the connector. Thus, we tried to energized manually the contactor by different AC source but it's working. Any idea what is the problem??? Thanks.

If you read 24V when the contactor is not connected, then it means the voltage is dropping when you connect the contactor. This is because the step down transformer is not able to drive the contactor (not able to source enough current) To confirm that,Check the voltage across the coil when the contactor is connected.

The voltage is Zero across the coil when connected and with the power source on...Done tracing also with all connections but all ok. Should it be the problem is the transformer? Since the contactor works through different ac source...thanks.

The voltage is Zero across the coil when connected and with the power source on...Done tracing also with all connections but all ok. Should it be the problem is the transformer? Since the contactor works through different ac source...thanks.

Replace transformer. See contactor datasheet, what current is needed for coil.

Best regards,
Peter

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Done tracing also with all connections but all ok. Should it be the problem is the transformer?
You won't need to ask if you have measured the transformer voltage in unloaded and loaded case.

Besides checking for wiring continuity, you'll also check for shorts.

tpetar

check if your contactor can work with the voltage and current you are providing it with

hello charu, actually the circuit was previously working, now i tried checking the voltage across the transformer (the one that feeds voltage to the contactor) and the contactor itself. at the moment i disengage the contactor supply voltage connection, its reading is 24vac and same goes to the transformer is giving 24vac. but when i engage the supply of the contactor the reading becomes 0vac but the transformer is still producing 24vac read out.

on the other hand, i already tested the contactor with a different voltage supply and its working.

when i engage the supply of the contactor the reading becomes 0vac but the transformer is still producing 24vac read out.
So there's a discontinuity between transformer and the terminals where you measured voltage. I guess it's normal behaviour, but you didn't understand the circuit yet, e.g. a blown fuse, a tripped overload relays ...

tpetar

So there's a discontinuity between transformer and the terminals where you measured voltage. I guess it's normal behaviour, but you didn't understand the circuit yet, e.g. a blown fuse, a tripped overload relays ...

there was a motor overload relay in between the contactor and the transformer

i'd made a voltage check on two locations at the same time 1) between A & B, and 2) between D & C. the moment i disengage the contactor connection at 1) and 2) both measured 24vac, the moment i engage the contactor 1) got 24vac and 2) becomes zero,

you think i measured in the wrong point? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.