Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 Quadrant and 4 Quadrant Multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Learner

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
2 quadrant multiplier

Hi,
Can anyone help me understand what is the main difference between a 2 Quadrant and a 4 Quadrant Multiplier?

Thanks!

four quadrant multiplication

For 2 Quadrant Multiplier first input has single polarity and second input has any polarity.
For 4 Quadrant Multiplier both inputs have any polarity.

four quadrant multiplier

Hi Gevy,
Thank you so mcuh for your help! The reason I asked is because I am trying to figure out why this part GT4123A is a two-quadrant multiplier, because it seems that IN A, IN B and Vc can all take AC as input?

Data sheet click here

4-quadrant multiplication

The data sheet says Vc range is 0 to 1V, so VCA and VCB never go negative.

two quadrant multiplier

Hi echo47,
Yes, but if Vc is biased with 0.5V and coupled with an AC signal it would work as a 4 quadrant multiplier?

BTW, the frequency response chart in data sheet covers from 1Mhz to 100Mhz. Would this part work for audio frequency if an audio signal is placed at AMP A and AMP B?

Thanks!

4 quadrant multiplication

No, that won't give you 4-quadrant multiplication. The VCA and VCB inputs are still positive, so the multiplication is only 2-quadrant.

Even if you somehow managed to cause VCA and VCB to go negative, the multipliers would probably misbehave. 4-quadrant multipliers are usually more complex than 2-quadrant multipliers.

It should work fine for audio. Data sheet page 2 says the signal channel frequency response is within 0.05 dB from DC to 10 MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back