Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 generators to household power

Status
Not open for further replies.

handcrafted

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Howdy all and what a great resource I've stumbled upon here thank you in advance. So, I am living off grid and have wondered for some time that since I have my t105 6volts wired in series parallel and putout 705 amp hours and recharge with 50 amp charger well then why couldn't I take my 3500w generator and my 4800w generator and wire them up parallel and run both legs of my panel to the house. Two hot legs from one gen and two hot legs from other gen, neutrals tied, grounds tied and thus have a 9kw genset. Seems to me that it could work just not sure how but learning along the way. Quite similarly I have a six bank t105 battery set up going to an inverter hotting up one leg of my house panel and am considering another bank of the same with another inverter to hot up the other leg of my panel (why not) Oh, at some point in the near future I will be going to wind and solar power with a more efficient 70 amp charge controller. Any thoughts suggestions greatly appreciated thank you

why couldn't I take my 3500w generator and my 4800w generator and wire them up parallel and run both legs of my panel to the house.

Two-phase residential AC works this way, as you know. The 120V lines are in opposite phase.

The only way your scheme will work, is if you never plug in your 230V appliances. If you do, smoke will come from somewhere. One or both generators will fry, even if the appliance does not.

On second thought, maybe your generators will not fry. However the 230V appliance will be underpowered some of the time when the two 120V sources are in phase.

The reason is that the generators will operate at slightly different frequencies. Thus they will sometimes be in phase, sometimes out of phase.

how are your generator powered? Diesel? How much your speed of generator are regulated? are they synchronous type?
can you provide schematic, possibly?
I am afraid my English is not good enough to understand the schematic using your explanation.

Answer to your question depend on the above information.

"why couldn't I take my 3500w generator and my 4800w generator and wire them up parallel"

No, don't do that.
They would have to be phase locked before you do so. Otherwise, a gigantic short circuit will occur.

Check the following, but if you Google, there is plenty of information, including some youtube videos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchronization_(alternating_current)

I agree it will be disastrous to connect the generators in parallel. (But there could be models designed to sync to another.)

My post #2 was for the concept below, which I should have quoted instead.

an inverter hotting up one leg of my house panel and am considering another bank of the same with another inverter to hot up the other leg of my panel

I think it will work, assuming this refers to the two legs of a home's 120VAC wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.