Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

0.18 um technology - what does it mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

korek

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
0.35 um technology
0.18 um technology
90 nm technology

What does the number exactly mean: channel lenth, path width, some kind of feature size?

Hi

I think it's the minimal allowed channellength of the transistor.

Greetz E-goe

Hi,
yes, it is the minimum allowed channel length of transistor, also called its feature size.

thanks
Waqas

that is the drawn length of the transistor.

what is effectively is, is a different story.

(usually smaller effectively)

you mean the size about the gate length on the layout?
Puppet1 said:
that is the drawn length of the transistor.

what is effectively is, is a different story.

(usually smaller effectively)

its refer to the channel length (L). it is important to have a small channel length as you can save the chip area (WXL) while maintaining its drive strength or speed (W/L)

0.35 um technology
0.18 um technology
90 nm technology
all these number refer to minimum feature size in CMOS transistor,that is the size of the gate in the transistor, they refers to technology of the chip (size of the gate for the transistor) under which it has been manufactured.

korek said:
0.35 um technology
0.18 um technology
90 nm technology

What does the number exactly mean: channel lenth, path width, some kind of feature size?

it indicates the smallest L of a transistor possible.

"technology" refers to the minimum feature size. this is usually the transistor gate width. during design, the total chip area is divided into smaller grids of area 0.35um*0.35um or 90nm*90nm(depending on the technology being used), then all the other functional units are represented in terms of the chip area it occupies which in turn is in terms of the minimum feature size. also interconnect lengths on the chips(present manufacturing processes and CAD tools dont normally use diagonal interconnects) are given in multiples of the minimum feature size.

hope the above helped!
rk

rkarthik1 said:
"technology" refers to the minimum feature size. this is usually the transistor gate width. during design, the total chip area is divided into smaller grids of area 0.35um*0.35um or 90nm*90nm(depending on the technology being used), then all the other functional units are represented in terms of the chip area it occupies which in turn is in terms of the minimum feature size. also interconnect lengths on the chips(present manufacturing processes and CAD tools dont normally use diagonal interconnects) are given in multiples of the minimum feature size.

hope the above helped!
rk
Hi rkarthik1
It is LENGTH not WIDTH ,Right?
Best regards
flyankh

flyankh said:
rkarthik1 said:

hope the above helped!
rk
Hi rkarthik1
It is LENGTH not WIDTH ,Right?
Best regards
flyankh

it's draw Length not effective length

hi,edacrack

I think the effective length is uncontrollable,we just can control the draw Length.:)

Best regards

flyankh

It is the channel width with the transistor

The effective length is strictly controlled in the IC manufacturing process. The Drawn length is only one aspect of effective length. Typically all wafers are tested prior to shipping out of the fab process to guarantee the effective length is under control. For 0.18um the Leff is typically about 0.13um. For 90nm, the Leff is about 65nm.

i asked this question in the class i am taking. The professor said it is the size of the channel length drawn on the layout.
don't know if the professor is correct.

triquent said:
i asked this question in the class i am taking. The professor said it is the size of the channel length drawn on the layout.
don't know if the professor is correct.

Yes, your precessor is correct. In digital design, the channel length always use this feature size.

It's an interesting question and answers.... my company often use 0.25um,0.18um, 0.15um, 0.13umstandard but now nano technology is widely developed, does anyone know which company use this standard?

I think the feature size is the minimum size you can handle in some specified technology.

that is minimal draw length of a mosfet.

actual channel length is smaller than graw length.

korek said:
0.35 um technology
0.18 um technology
90 nm technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back