Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What is purpose of "Sweep" on a function generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyzrdstomp

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I just bought my first function generator–a used Tektronix cfg250. Unfortunately, there was no manual of any kind.

I'm primarily using it to feed a signal into parts of a circuit, then use a scope to see how the signal changes.

But another part of the fg is Sweep (internal/external), Sweep rate and Sweep Width. What is the purpose of "sweep" on a function generator and, if I were a real technician, why would I want that?

It also has DC offset and Duty... how are those important?

I guess I'm not asking for dictionary definitions of these features, but why or how they are used in the "real world"...

Thanks.

Re: What is purpose of "Sweep" on a function gener

DC offset is used to see how your DTE (device under test - maybe amplifier or whatever) acts when receiving the signal superimposed over a DC component
(it may be not "filtered" out, it could cause saturation and so on, especially critical for telephone equipment).
Sweeping is used to see how thw DTE reacts when inputing a rapid changing signal
(following up) or to test half automatically its bandwidth.
I hope I helped partially, if you ll ask for, I can detail and give you more examples

Status
Not open for further replies.