Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

What types of analysis should I do to confirm ring VCO functioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ring VCO

sp said:
I have a VCO question, i will just ask here instead of creating another one, hope have people will clear my doubt.

I have a VCO circuit and after i spend some time with it, i found out that it actually is just even number of inverters and i wonder why an even number of inverters chain can oscillate. i run spice on it and it actually does oscillate.

do anyone have any recommendation on any book on VCO, i read razavi book but it has no explanation on it and maybe it's just my understanding is bad.

thank you in advance.

regards
sp

As I know, the differential ring osc can use even number of inverters. In razavi book you will find it.
Because in differential,the output can cross put to another inverter's input, so the phase can satisfy the Barkhausen's law, then it can oscillate.

Ring VCO

Yes you can use even number of stages when using a differential delay cell topology.
But if you are using a inverter based delay cell, you need to have odd number of stages for oscillation

--cmos_dude

Re: Ring VCO

Even stages of inverter can't oscillate. Maybe there is some mistake in your schematic.

Reactions: apar

apar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.