Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to control mains supply using relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

raghun

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
i am designing water level indicator for over head tanks .
problem is ,when the tank is full ,i want to switch off the main supply(230v ac,50hz) of motor using relays.
can any one give suggestions.
thank u
raghu.

Do you use a µC to control your water level indicator?

What is the signal from the indicator?

Do you amplify it?

What is the voltage of the motor? Is it a multiturn or a single phase?

Can you provide some more info on this?

D.

raghun said:
hi,
i am designing water level indicator for over head tanks .
problem is ,when the tank is full ,i want to switch off the main supply(230v ac,50hz) of motor using relays.
can any one give suggestions.
thank u
raghu.

Hello,

I think you must fire a relay trough a transistor with the uC, and this relay might have to fire a contactor.

One of the diferences between a relay and a contactor is the voltage of the fire coil. You could fire a relay normally with 12v CC. For fire a contactor you must used 110 VAC, 220VAC or 380VAC.

You must used a contactor and not a relay to turn on or off motor is the consumption, a relay is not design for switching high currents. A contactor normally have a power range from 3~250 KW/400V for AC as well as DC operation.

By,

GuillerMo (AR)

Status
Not open for further replies.