Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Normal Oscilloscope VS PC Oscilloscope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kostbill

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
bs310u

Hello.

I want to buy an oscilloscope, I was thinking for a tektronix TDS2014 but it is too expensive. Of course, I have work with a tektronix oscilloscope before and I really like it, but I was also thinking of a cheaper PC oscilloscope.

My main questions are these:

1) Why many people don't like PC oscilloscopes?
2) The characteristics of PC oscilloscopers are not so high as on normal ones?
3) Prices are indeed cheaper?
4) Could you point some good PC based oscilloscopes, around 100 MHz?

5) This is an idea, a small TFT touch screen could be better than the normal PC screen, certainly more friendly.

Thanks.

Bill.

P.S. I would also like to know about logic analyzers, once in this forum I saw a very good one.

tektronix+pc oscilloscopes

I had a link
was talking to warren at the company that makes it. sounded good,Ill find and post it.
heres the link:**broken link removed**
its about 1/3 -1/2 the cost of others ive looked at.
Lemme know that you think. Ive deceided to keep my old analog TEK for a while

pc scope vs standalone oscilloscope

try to buy a good used scope... some tek or fluke or hameg 5 to 10 years old are far better than these pc scopes...for triggering, for max volt admissible, etc.. the pc are good for logic analyzers because they require more memory.

I bought a fluke 4 channels 200MHz analog and digital for some $1000 on ebay...and I'm really happy with it..

pc oscilloscope forum

I've been using BitScope BS310U (PC Oscilloscope/Logic Analyzer) for a while and I'm very happy with it. It fulfills what I've expexted from such a device. Of course full-size oscilloscope is always better but it has its own price tag, which is higher.

tds2014b measure 10 volts

That looks better than what i posted,
Anybody else got a favorite ?

use an old pc like a oscilloscope

Beeblebrox said:
I've been using BitScope BS310U (PC Oscilloscope/Logic Analyzer) for a while and I'm very happy with it. It fulfills what I've expexted from such a device. Of course full-size oscilloscope is always better but it has its own price tag, which is higher.
I have also this pc scope

With software did you use, the standard one?
Can i uses other software?

Last edited by a moderator:

pc oscilloscope tek

Some people (especially the old folks) like the standalone scopes just because they have knobs, which allow “blind” operation. It’s quicker to adjust the scope with knobs than with mouse clicks or a keyboard.

oscilloscope pc gs

pc scopes rerely accept more than 100V on inputs.. sometimes it's even 5V !!! with a normal scope you can input 500V even 1000V without damage...
dont know what happens to your PC if you put by mistake 230V on input...:(

pc oscilloscope pci

it's easer to store data using a PC oscilloscope, it's cheaper than a normale one, maby try a kit from Velleman

h**p://www.elexp.com/kit_8031.htm

this kind of scopes are optically isolated so if U make a mistake you won't distroy your PC

bs310u price

Dear,

I think a Handheld (fluke) or Portable (Tektronix) Oscilloscope is much better than

a PC Scope!with a PC Scope you can store more data,wave form &...BUT you

can't carry it everywhere and also new Poratable scopes can use LAN,Memory cards

and other storage devices and also they are easier to work.I'm working with 50MHz PCI
scope and a Fluke handheld (100MHz,1GS/s) and a Portable Tektronix (TDS3000,350Mhz,2.5GS/S)

and they much easier to use than pc scope.I think if you can buy a used Tektronix
it's much better than a PC Scope. Try www.used-line.com for buying used devices.

Good Luck!

tektronix pc scope

Could you point some good PC based oscilloscopes, around 100 MHz?

Just information on the bandwidth may not be enough for a DSO. The sampling rate is also important. A Tek scope TDS1012 is equipped with 1.0GS/s sampling rate on each channel (as an example). For slow sampling rate means it is not possible to take measurement on a too fast signal.

It is worth taking a look at the elektor electronics article 9/2005. This article compares USB Oscilloscopes with price ranges from EUR116 to EUR1380, with max sampling rate ranging from 1MS/s to 100MS/s.

I have this article onhands. Attached is the conclusion. I dare not making the whole document in public because it is a copyright article. Go to elektor electronics web site and purchase that particular article if you are interested.

There is another interesting equipment that I am actively considering to buy one. This is a DSO with 400MS/s, 2 Channels, desktop unit with 5.7" TFT color monitor and 16 channels logic analyzer! Attached also find the data sheet. I DON'T have any business relationship with this company. I am just interested to see how good it is. The cost for that 100MHz scope is just around US$1300. A good bargain if that equipment's performance matches its spec. If anyone has experience with this equipment, please let me know of how you feel.

John Leung
www.TechToys.com.hk

pc oscilloscope kit

Hello.

I am pretty happy right now.

I ordered a tek TDS2014B 2080 euros, a lot of money for Greece, since I am a not working proffesionally in the field (yet, I hope), but I am very anxious to get it.

People said to me : "WHAT? You could go to Spain, or Italy or Peru with so much money!!!" Oh, I gues they cannot understand the beauty of if :).

C u all.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.