Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help needed on the standard of the supply voltage of IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunjiao3

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
0.18um supply voltage

Dear all, I am now confused by the supply voltage of IC. It seems to be related to the process. For example, the TSMC 0.18um tends to use both 3.3V and 1.8V, and 0.25um process tends to use 2.5V, while 0.6um or so use 5V. But, why it is 5V rather than 4.5V, why it is 3.3V rather than 3V? Are there any reference standard?
Would any one of you please enlight me on this topic? Thank you all in advance.

tsmc 0.25um oxide thickness tox

Supply voltage is defined by oxide thickness

1.8 V for 0.18 um
2.5 V for 0.25 um
3.3 V for 0.35 um
5 V for 0.6 um

So, what about the 0.5um? Then, if it is a 0.18um process, whether it comes from TSMC or UMC or other factories, the supply voltage would be 3.3V, right? Do you mean that it is a sticked standard? So, what is this standard? Would you please give me some more suggestion?

gevy said:
Supply voltage is defined by oxide thickness

1.8 V for 0.18 um
2.5 V for 0.25 um
3.3 V for 0.35 um
5 V for 0.6 um

Could you give some more hints as to how it is calculated from the oxide thickness?

Check the model to find the gate oxide thickness by the parameter as Tox, TT case.
Sometimes it is not a linear relationship. It depends.

Normally .5 process uses 5V supply.

Added after 5 minutes:

and the relationship of process's size and its voltage can't be looked as .18=1.8V .25=2.5V simplely.

When process's feature size goes down the volt can't goes down linearly, you know, .09 process can't use 0.9V volt, also .045nm will not use 0.45 volt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back