Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single phase and three phase system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atif Hussain

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am new to this edaboard and it is my first post. I searched this board but didn't found any discussion on this topic.
I am a new student of power. I want to know what is the comparison between the single phase and three phase system. Direct comparison not taking the two phase system into account.
I am new to this board so I expect a positive response to this question of mine.
Thanks in advance.

I hope this article will be helpfull for u.
Single-phase power distribution is used especially in rural areas, where the cost of a three-phase distribution network is high and motor loads are small and uncommon.

High power systems are nearly always three phase. But the largest supply normally available as single phase varies considerably by country and in some cases region. In the UK it is often as high as 100A or even 125A meaning that there is little need for 3 phase in a domestic or small commercial environment. Much of the rest of Europe has traditionally had much smaller limits on the size of single phase supplies resulting in even houses being supplied with 3 phase (in urban areas with three-phase supply networks).

In North America, individual residences and small commercial buildings with services up to about 100 kVA (400 Amperes at 240 Volts) will usually have three-wire single-phase distribution, often with only one customer per distribution transformer. Larger consumers such as large buildings, shopping centres, factories, office blocks,and multiple-unit apartment blocks will have three-phase service. In densely-populated areas of cities, network power distribution is used with many customers and many supply transformers connected to provide hundreds or thousands of kVA load concentrated over a few hundred square metres.

Three-wire single-phase systems are rarely used in the UK where large loads are needed off only two high voltage phases.

A single-phase supply connected to a pure single-phase induction motor does not produce a revolving magnetic field, and so practical single-phase motors always have some means of producing a revolving field to generate starting torque. Aside from certain traction power applications, single-phase induction motors greater than 10 or 20 kW (HP) are very uncommon.

As far as the uses, three phase motors have more uniform torque. Three phase to DC power supplies have less output ripple.

In a three phase system, the source is made up of three sinusoidal voltages.
For a balanced three phase system, these three sources are of equal magnetiudes and are displaced by 120 electrical degrees.
When using a balanced three phase system, the power delivered to the load is always constant, while in a single phase system the power changes with time.

hiiiiiiii

if someone has a book on single phase n three phase, then kindly send me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back